Halloween Hike
During the day of Halloween I took Avery on a hike up Bell Canyon. It was a long and arduous journey, full of complaints and "dying of thirst" breaks, but we finally made it! I make this hike often on my own and will not take breaks until I at least make it to the lake. When hiking it alone, it really isn't a long hike, but when pulling another human that is almost as big as you up the hill as well it can add to the time... and the workout, which is good.
By the time we were three-fourths to the top Avery began to change his attitude a bit. He began enjoying himself rather than dreading each step, and it really made the rest of the time loads of fun! The scenery was absolutely gorgeous. I adore the Utah mountains and the beautiful views showing themselves from every direction. It really is like a dream land while you are up hiking around... the smells, nature, sounds... it's invigorating!
I carried a backpack of sandwiches, fruit and water with us to the top and we ate on the rocks by the water. It was extremely cold and windy, though... but luckily, I brought a "just in case" blanket for us to cover up with. We ate our food and played a bit by the lake and then began our trek back to the foot of the mountain.
We started our hike down on the path of the stream because the water had been so dried up you could actually maneuver down the rocks. There came a point where we climbed back up the mountain to take the trail, though. It was just too dangerous for Avery to be down in the gully once the water level began to rise.
Other highlights of the hike: Avery peed right on the side of the trail, I made Avery laugh so hard he almost choked on his sandwich, we ran into two hiker dudes so cool that they had their own personalized matching hiking sticks, and we sang songs and played I Spy all the way down the mountain.
Sooo, it was a fun hike! And Avery felt that feeling of accomplishment once we reached the bottom, and I felt good that I was able to con him into spending time with me during the day instead of ditching me for his "way cool" friends down the street. Mom's have to try extra hard with boys... I'm already at a disadvantage since I'm a "giiiiiiiiirl... ewwwww!" haha... oh well. I hope when he gets older he looks back and knows how much I love him and how much I tried to give him everything I could... most importantly... all the special "Mommy/Avery" time with we have together. I feel blessed to be the mom of such an amazing boy.










8 comments:
That's so adorable!!!!!! I'm so glad you finally blogged. I was beginning to think you were too good for us fans of your blog.
XOXO
Hey Steph, that really was a sweet post. You are a good mom and you are right, Avery is an amazing boy. I only hope Toby will want to hang out with his mom too someday.
ps, I haven't been ignoring you. I've been out with the flu. We still have Avery's jacket but no sign of the glasses. Hope you are surviving the snow...its only going to get colder. And I showed my sister your website and she loved it. She told me to leave it up so she could take a look at it later. She is a graphic designer and was pretty impressed with your work. Cause you rock! HAve you moved in to your new place yet? I'll go D.I. shopping with ya sometime.
Ok, this was a novel. Bye
ps, I love the picture with food in Avery's mouth!
Awww... Rachel! I love you! I really didn't know I had fans... I guess I should update it more often :) xoxo
Jacque, you are so sweet. I am glad she liked my website. Thanks for holding on to Avery's jacket. Do you think it is possible that the glasses could be down at the house you guys were at when your sister was in the hospital? I haven't moved quite yet, but we will def hit up the DI soon! Oh, and I figured out you had the flu b/c I checked ur status on facebook ;) xoxo
Hey Steph, I'm so excited you have a blog!! I love the hiking pictures of Avery, it sounds like you two have a lot of fun together. I also love those pictures of Elias, especially the blacked out ones. I have never seen anything like that, AMAZING!!
wow avery has some long hair! i sure do miss you guys!! but i will def see you soon and i am soo excited!!! yeah you should update your blog...i am one to talk. ha ha
um update your blog!!!!
OK seriously it has been a YEAR almost since your last post! come girl I know you are busy but its your year anniversary.
Post a Comment